What is Eczema and Skin Conditions
Eczema (atopic dermatitis) is a recurring, non-infectious, inflammatory skin condition affecting many Australians at some stage throughout their lives. The condition is most common in people with a family history of an atopic disorder, including asthma or hay fever.
There are also many other skin conditions that can affect people including psoriasis, acne and rosacea.
Some of the Symptoms of Eczema and Skin Conditions Include:
- Moderate-to-severely itching skin (this symptom separates eczema from other skin rashes)
- Recurring rash – dry, red, patchy or cracked skin. (In infants and toddlers, the rash usually appears on the face, elbows or knees. In older children and adults, the rash appears less often on the face, and more commonly on the hands, neck, inner elbows, backs of the knees and ankles)
- Skin weeping watery fluid
- Rough, “leathery,” thick skin
- Lesions which may be infected by bacteria or viruses.
- Psoriasis produces thick, red plaques covered with silvery scales.
- Rosacea mainly affects skin on the face. It causes redness on the nose, chin, cheeks, and forehead.
Cause of Eczema and Skin Conditions
Although the exact cause of many skin conditions is unknown, many can be linked to the following internal and external factors:
- A family history of the condition, asthma or hay fever
- Particular food and alcohol (dairy and wheat products, citrus fruits, eggs, nuts, seafood, chemical food additives, preservatives and colourings)
- Dysbioisis (imbalance of good and bad bacteria in the gut) Antibiotics kill good bacteria.
- Irritants – tobacco smoke, chemicals, weather (hot and humid or cold and dry conditions) and air conditioning or overheating
- Allergens – house dust mites, moulds, grasses, plant pollens, foods, pets and clothing, soaps, shampoos and washing powders, cosmetics and toiletries.
How Can Simply Natural Therapies Help?
The naturopathic approach to treating skin conditions is often centred on supporting immune and digestive functions. The following natural therapies or treatments may be utilised to treat and alleviate a range of symptoms:
- Herbal Medicine
We stock some fantastic products in our shop that can help with symptoms. MooGoo makes a range of natural, safe products with effective active ingredients designed for people with skin and scalp problems.
We also have a range of probiotics which help you in two ways. The first is with digestion. When the digestive tract is healthy(good and bad bacteria in balance), it filters out and eliminates things that can damage it, such as harmful bacteria, toxins, chemicals, and other waste products. On the flip side, it takes in the things that our body needs (nutrients from food and water) and absorbs and helps deliver them to the cells where they are needed. The other way that probiotics help is the impact that they have on our immune system. Some believe that this role is the most important. Our immune system is our protection against germs. When it doesn’t function properly, we can suffer from allergic reactions, autoimmune and infections.
How Many Sessions Will I Need?
Your Naturopathic consultation is a thorough health review. A treatment plan is implemented which may vary from dietary adjustments, prescription herbs, supplements, a healthy diet and lifestyle education you can use for the rest of your life. The treatment plan may be adjusted as you gain a new level of health with each visit.
The amount of treatment can vary from person to person. Depending on the severity of the condition, follow up appointments may be weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
What Is Involved In The Sessions?
Sessions are held in a relaxed and comfortable setting where you will be treated with respect and compassion. You will spend time asking and answering questions regarding your symptoms and medical history. Some physical checks may be carried out in the clinic, such as taking blood pressure, tongue, iris and urine analysis.
Secondly; it may be recommended that further laboratory tests are carried out on the function and pathology of your body. I.e. blood tests, allergy testing, stool examination, hair analysis etc. This is only recommended if deemed necessary to gain an overall picture of your health. Furthermore please bring any medical test results you may already have obtained from your GP to your Naturopathic consultation and any medicines and natural remedies that you’re currently taking.
How Much Does It Cost?
Initial Consultation – $125 /60 Minutes
Follow-up Consultations – $70 /30 Minutes